How many of you struggle to come up with new ideas for dinner? I don’t know about you but sometimes the deciding what to fix is harder than the fixing itself. Anytime you ask your family what they would like for dinner you’re probably met with the dreaded “I don’t know!” Ughh!
Well tonight, we had a ‘Take it back Tuesday’ to an oldie but a goodie. We love having breakfast for dinner at our house. Usually that constitutes pancakes and bacon or bacon, eggs, and grits. But tonight, I took it a little more comfort food style. And the amazing part is that it’s soooo easy and quick. We had homemade sausage gravy over biscuits with scrambled eggs. Rarely do my children rave about something I’ve made, but tonight they asked me to make it again tomorrow night! #winning If that’s not something to brag about I don’t know what is!
So, if you’re ready to be a super hero in the kitchen tonight, or in the morning, here’s 6 easy steps to get you going.
1) Bake some biscuits…don’t feel the need to hand make Biscuits, save yourself some time, and anxiety, and just pop a can of Pillsbury and bake accordingly.
2) Brown a 1 pound tube of ground sausage. I used mild, but you can use whatever you’re family has a taste for. DO NOT DRAIN! I know this is counter intuitive, and uber unhealthy, but…this is comfort food, not fit food. You can thank me later.
3) Add 1/3 cup of all-purpose flour. Stir thoroughly until the sausage is coated and begins to look thickened. This takes about 5 minutes.
4) Gradually add 2 1/2 cups of milk. I used 2%, but only because that is what I had on hand. You want to cook at medium heat and stir continuously to prevent the milk from scalding. The gravy will begin to thicken after a few minuses.
5) Salt and Pepper to taste. I tend to like more pepper than salt in my gravy. Keep in mind that the sausage itself will have some salt already, so be careful not to over salt! Make sure to taste your gravy before you serve it!
6) Serve your gravy over open faced biscuits along side some scrambled eggs and fruit for a well rounded meal. Enjoy!
Is there an easy comfort food that’s your go to? What’s your favorite thing to cook for dinner?
Until next time,
Love to you all! XOXO